Studying in the United States: Your gateway to academic excellence
Studying in the United States, where everything is possible, means pursuing your studies in the country with the widest range of universities and the best-rated higher education establishments in the world for international students. While the education system in the USA differs from that in European countries, it offers a particularly fulfilling academic experience.
The American higher education system
The American higher education system comprises two tracks: Undergraduate and Graduate. While the first cycle, the Undergraduate, leads to an Associate Degree after 2 years or a Bachelor’s after 3 to 4 years, the second cycle, the Graduate, leads to a Master’s prepared in 1 to 3 years or a Doctorate in 5 to 7 years, with 2 years of courses included before starting the thesis. All these courses and diplomas are recognized in most countries in the world.
Higher education institutions offers
The 4,500 public and private institutions in the United States are divided into :
- Four-Year colleges to prepare a Bachelor of Arts or of sciences, and possibly a Master’s degree.
- Universities, which bring together different colleges dedicated to specialities such as business, engineering, agriculture, education, social work, etc., as well as faculties dedicated to courses in medicine, pharmacy, law, etc.
- Junior or two-year colleges and community colleges designed to prepare students for an Associate Degree, and sometimes a Bachelor’s degree, for entry into a Four-year college or third year university.
- Institutes of technology, which focus on science and technology, as well as architecture, commerce and business.
- Art institutes, for professional artistic studies.
Annual academic calendar of higher education studies and enrolment periods
The academic calendar in the USA varies from university to university, but in general, studies take place over nine months, divided into semesters, quarters or terms. Autumn and spring semesters are the most common, with starting dates in August/September and January/February. If you want to study in the United States, we recommend that you start the application process several months in advance to meet deadlines and have the best chance of being admitted.
Language proficiency requirements and certifications
To study in the United States, it is essential to have a good command of the English language. TOEFL certification is generally required to assess your proficiency in English. You can rest assured, however, that most institutions offer advanced English language courses to help you improve your language skills and succeed in an English-speaking academic environment.
Prior to applying for a student visa in the USA, all student visa applicants must be admitted and approved by their school or program. Once accepted, educational institutions will provide each applicant with the necessary approval documents to present when applying for a student visa. Issuance of the student visa will take no more than 7 days from the date the application is submitted by the student.
Our commitment at Eduworld
At EduWorld, we are committed to using our academic expertise and resources to deliver an unforgettable experience. Through our extensive network of local providers, we are able to meet your academic aspirations even if you want to study in the USA after high school. Don’t hesitate to contact us; the first consultation is free!